Looking for old forum posts and information? View the old forum archive here ยป
Welcome to Vortx Community Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from the staff at Vortx and other members of the community.

If you had a user account on our previous forums website, you will need to register a new account here.

A static copy of our previous forums website is available online for reference. Click here to access the forum archive.

Learn more about...

AspDotNetStorefront
DotFeed

Real-time Shipping to UPS not passing dimensions??

I am using ASPDNSF 9.4.2 multi-store (but only running one store).

We ship a variety of products and the boxes are larger in size and we need the dimensions to be passed on to UPS.

In our product variants we have both a weight setup (per product) and a dimension, such as this

weight 3.0 (pounds)

dimensions: 50x11x11

If I turn on the XML DUMP for RTS, I can see that the dimensions sent to UPS are 0, 0, 0 and not the dimensions in the varient for that product.

on the other hand, the TOTAL WEIGHT is calculating properly and sending the correct weight to UPS.

the end result is that our shipments are not properly calculated and we wind up losing money since the shipping charges are higher due to the dimensions of the packaging.

What do I need to do to send dimensions to UPS along with the weight?
asked May 20, 2015 in MultiStore by RollingRocker (200 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Dimensions are only sent to the shipping carriers for products that are marked as 'Is Ship Separately'.  The carrier will assume a separate package for each product marked that way, so you'll want to make sure you only use it in cases where sending the dimensions makes sense (varies by product, carrier, etc).
answered May 20, 2015 by Vortx ScottS (13,500 points)
As a new ASPDNF user, this inability to pass dimensions for RTS by default, especially for multi-item orders baffles me.

I noted this problem in ASPDNF when evaluating ChannelAdvisor 6 years ago, and it took a month of me trying to convince someone it's a real, >serious< issue.  I bailed out on that system choice because of this problem.

Flash forward 6 years, and I think to myself, "that can't possibly still be an issue", yet here it is.

My current ASPDNF implementation now grossly undercharges my FedEx shipments because it passes a weight calc only.

The 14 year old legacy system I just came from handled this flawlessly right from the beginning.

For the record, a simple solution for irregular multi-item orders, the system can simply take the largest value of L x W x H for each item encountered in the order.

Item 1:  20 x 10 x 6, 6lbs

Item 2:  12 x 8 x 4, 4lbs

Item 3:  22 x 9 x 3, 1lbs

Target Dims to send:  22x10x6, 11lbs.

If the shipment is full of rectagular items, then highly accurate calcs get a little more complex and algorithmic.
It is now a year later and we are still in desperate need of the following:

1) Ability for UPS to pass dimensions.  Dimensions are set under each product variant.

Here is how we want this done.

software to find the largest dimension in the cart, say 12x12x50.

add up all the weights of items in the cart, say, 11 pounds

fetch real-time rate from UPS for ONE box, of 12x12x50, @ 11 pounds.

The issue now is that it's only sending the weight to UPS and the boxes themselves exceed the allowable dimenions for that weight, so we NEED to have the dimensions passed, but ASPDNSP is not doing this.

if I check "IS SHIP SEPARATELY" it will apparently send the dimensions to UPS, but it will then make a single cart with 4 items, into 4 separate boxes.  That WONT WORK for us.

All of our items will go into one box, but we need the largest product dimension passed along with the total weight to get an accurate quote.
Did you ever find a solution for this or hear back from aspdotnetstorefront? We are in the same boat as you.

Did you ever find a solution for this or hear back from aspdotnetstorefront? We are in the same boat as you.

Hello all, we have a modification for this in our Auto Package build we can apply to other builds/your cart... please contact me at  jsimacek @ compunix.us for a quote.

Please note your version when emailing me and if you have any source code changes.

Thank you,

Jan
Compunix, LLC (Phoenix, AZ)
AspDotNetStorefront Development Partner and Reseller since 2005
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 AspDotNetStorefront add-ons and plugins : http://www.ecommercecartmods.com
  * Searching Filtering, Single Signons, Reviews Ratings, Reports, Integrations
 Complete Automotive Solution : http://www.autopartsshoppingcart.com
  * Auto + Aftermarket Parts solution
 Unlimited Custom Development : http://www.compunix.us/t-unlimited-custom-development.aspx
  * Unlimited with Quick turn-arounds!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------