Welcome to Vortx Community Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from the staff at Vortx and other members of the community.

If you had a user account on our previous forums website, you will need to register a new account here.

Learn more about...

AspDotNetStorefront
DotFeed

Why is it so hard to publish/unpublish variants now?

With the v8 release, I was able to go to the product list, find a product, and expand to show all of its variants.  I was then able to quickly see which variants are published and which were not, and I could change them right from this screen.  This is how we handle hiding items that have gone out of stock.  (We cannot use inventory numbers, because the web is not our only sales outlet.)

With the 9.5.1 release, it seems that this feature has been eliminated.  I now have to have TWO windows open, one in the Admin console and one on the storefront, flip to the store front to see which variants are Published and which are not, flip back to the Admin screen, then drill down into the variants screen, click the radio button to change it, and click save.  Changing one mouse click into two alt-tabs and 4 mouse clicks is not exactly progress, in my opinion.

Does anyone know how to re-enable this capability in the new release?
asked Aug 5, 2015 in MultiStore by BtrieveBill (200 points)

2 Answers

0 votes
Have you tried looking at the Products - Prices & Inventory page? This lists all product variants, and has a Published checkbox in the grid. Plenty of filters exist as well to narrow down what you need to see.
answered Aug 5, 2015 by Vortx Erik (4,250 points)
So, to manage my product variants, I need to Edit Prices and Inventory instead of using the Manage Products option.  Good to know.  It seems that good UI design is a thing of the past.

By the way, this screen is ALSO buggy in that it doesn't provide any way to order the lines by Variant.  The display sorts the items by Product ID, but in seemingly random order by everything else.  For one item, my Varianty ID's are 11, 12, 13, 14, and then 2.  By Variant Name, these are orderd by "3..", "5..", "1..", "2..", and "1..".  Not ordered by price or inventory numbers, either.  This makes it very hard to find when you have more than a small number of variants showing in the listing (especially with the default page size of 10, but that is another complaint).
0 votes

The Products/Prices and Inventory Page will show ALL products and their variants, along with the checkbox needed to enable or disable items on the fly.  This is good.  However, there are two changes that you may wish to make in the bulkeditprices.aspx file:

1. Fix the SortExpression.  The default displays variants in a random order.  Not a big deal if you don't care, but if you do have a method to your variant order, then it helps to sort them properly.  In the section "aspdnsf:FilteredListing", change the last line from SortExpression="v.ProductId" to SortExpression="v.ProductId,v.VariantId".
  2. If you are editing lots of variants all the time, then you may want to increase the page size values to make this easier (and reduce your click count).  In the same section, add these two lines before the ">" at the end of the section:
    PageSizes="50,100,200"
    DefaultPageSize="50"
    Of course, you can use large numbers, too, as you see fit.
answered Aug 6, 2015 by BtrieveBill (200 points)