Looking for old forum posts and information? View the old forum archive here ยป
Welcome to Vortx Community Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from the staff at Vortx and other members of the community.

If you had a user account on our previous forums website, you will need to register a new account here.

A static copy of our previous forums website is available online for reference. Click here to access the forum archive.

Learn more about...

AspDotNetStorefront
DotFeed

ttach promo code to customer from link

I have an email that includes a promotion link. Is there a way I can attach the promo code to the customer when they click the link? We have source and have made (too many) upgrades before.

The uri would be my.store.com?

Thanks

Abbott
asked Jan 30 in MultiStore by AbbottF (350 points)

2 Answers

0 votes
With custom code anything is possible.

The question gets to be more what does the link look like the promo code. For example It is a promo code entered at checkout  or a query string?

The secound question being how do you want to store the data. For example you can have a relational table for this or you add a field to the customer table.
answered Jan 31 by mmcgeachy (3,350 points)
my.store.com?promo=abc

Sorry for the ommission.

Can't the id of the promo be put into the customer record or does a promotionalUsage recrod have to be generated?

I also have structured ddata in the customerf record wher3e I can put the code. I  just want it to appear (magically) on the promo code area of checkout.

Abbott
0 votes
The closest you could get to this 'out of the box' would be to set up the promo with a list of email addresses it's allowed to be used by (under Promo Requirements) and then make the promo auto-applied.  Once the customer is logged in with something in the cart, the promo will be added.  Obviously that's not going to work if you intend the promo to be available to any customer, but that's the closest you'll get without customization.

With customization, like mmcgeachy said - anything is possible.  The problem you're going to run in to there is that promos have to be paired with a CustomerID.  A customer coming to your site from a link who wasn't already logged in before won't have a Customer record, so you would have to also change when Customer records are initially created, before you could add the promo-related customization.

Totally doable, but it's going to take some fairly involved modifications.
answered Feb 1 by Vortx ScottS (11,830 points)
Thanks for the insight.

I'll create a parallel auto-promo that that is part of the link ...

www.abc.com/destination.aspx?promo=promoId&user=useremailId (I won't send actual emai addresses in the open).

I'll just make the 2 promo codes similar (so the user does not get confused).

This will be implmented as a control that is part of template.master that displays "coupon added: message in the page header if the call has the parameters.

Thanks for making me think this thru. Feel free to use this apporach and pass it on.

Is ther a place  (github?) where solutions like this are (can be) posted?

Thanks again

Abbott

Hello Abbott-

we have a plugin for this which would be a good base... http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/p-103-url-add-coupon-for-aspdotnetstorefront.aspx 

Depending on the exact specs you have, we could use this base plugin and make it applyable across the site (any page) and even do a customer check.

What is the exact cart version you are on? If you like, email me at jsimacek @ compunix.us.

Thank you,
Jan

Compunix, LLC (Phoenix, AZ)
AspDotNetStorefront Development Partner and Reseller since 2005
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 AspDotNetStorefront add-ons and plugins : http://www.ecommercecartmods.com
  * Searching Filtering, Single Signons, Reviews Ratings, Reports, Integrations
 Complete Automotive Solution : http://www.autopartsshoppingcart.com
  * Auto + Aftermarket Parts solution
 Unlimited Custom Development : http://www.compunix.us/t-unlimited-custom-development.aspx
  * Unlimited with Quick turn-arounds!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------