We are having an issue where the add to cart functionality is timing out.  None of our customers can add to the cart.  

This is a new development.

Anybody ever have this happen?
in General by (195 points)

4 Answers

0 votes

We use AspDotNetStorefront very frequently and I cannot think of any situations where we have seen this.  Typically timeouts would be caused by insufficient memory / system resources, or a code issue.

Is this happening on your local development machine or in a production environment?

Have you tried looking in your Windows Event Log to see if there are any errors?

One other possible issue is that you have some sort of infinite redirect loop happening.  

Can you check the following AppConfigs?

• UseSSL
  • LiveServer
  • RedirectLiveToWWW

Do you have an SSL certificate installed?

Thanks,
Lori McDonald
Brilliance Business Solutions
http://www.brillianceweb.com/technologies/aspdotnetstorefront
AspDotNetStorefront Preferred Development Partner
by (2.3k points)
0 votes
I'd also add:

When was the last time monthly maintenance was run?  Are there a lot of old shopping cart records?  Sometimes this can make inserts slow.

Can the db grow?  Is the db transaction log full?

Is the server under a high load?  4 days ago was during the Black Weekend - we've seen quite a few sites who had to (or should have) ramp up their hardward during this period.
by (550 points)
0 votes
We have indeed seen this timeout when using a third party add-on, such as real time shipping or Avatax when the credentials are incorrect.  If you are using either of these, turn them off and see if it works correctly.
by (1.8k points)
0 votes
This could be one of many things. I would start here.

open the portal - click on "version" and scroll all the way down. this way you can get a good look at what the appconfigs are set to.

if you don't know what the defaults are, install a base copy on your sql server and do a database compare.

javascript. sometimes i get this on my local install with IE. so, try adding to cart with firefox, chrome, etc. if you have the adobe suite, you can do a browser check.

I'd try to find out what (if any) customizations are done. it has to be either the hardware, security or customization...

good luck!!
by (1.5k points)